Prepare for the storm, everything you need to know for before and after the storm. Including tips for your roof.
Storm Pre-Season Preparation
- Enter the season prepared.
- Know all evacuation routes if you live close to the coast.
- Make sure your home meets building codes for withstanding hurricanes, and they have storm shutters.
- Have proper tools, supplies, and a first aid kit.
- Have plenty of batteries and flashlights
- Always have plenty of non-perishable foods on hand
When a Watch or Warning is Issued for a Storm or Hurricane
- Leave low lying areas.
- If you know you have leaks in your roof get it tarp it prior to the storm.
- Protect windows with plywood boards, or storm shutters.
- Secure outside objects.
- Make sure you have plenty of fuel and water.
- Have several days supply of food and water for each family member.
- If called to evacuate, do so immediately.
Before the Storm
- Be ready to put your plan and preparation into action.
- Pay attention to local weather reports on radio, television, or the internet.
- Have house boarded up, or have storm shutters in place.
- Have plenty of food and water.
- Make sure all your tools, supplies, and first aid kit available for use.
- Have a secure room available.
During the Storm
- If you get any leaks in your roof place a bucket under need in the attic to prevent any interior damage.
- Stay in Secure Room.
- Stay away from windows.
- Do not use the phone, or candles.
- Monitor Weather and Civil Service Bulletins on either regular or NOAA radio.
- Have supplies on hand.
- Remain indoors when the eye moves over your area because the storm will resume shortly.
After the Storm
- Get a roof inspection and fix any leaks you might have, you could be a candidate for a full roof replacement.
- Make sure that all is definitely clear outside, and the storm has completely passed before going out.
- Report downed power lines, and stay away from them.
- Use stored water and food.
- Be patient. Things will take a while before they get back to normal.